Echinacea – Echinacea purpurea/angustifolia
Echinacea is well known to stimulate and boost the immune system. Studies have revealed Echinacea to increase immune activity, and enhance the body’s resistance to opportunistic pathogens like bacteria and viruses. It has been used for over 400years by Native Americans.
Immune enhancing, Immune modulating, depurative, Anti-inflammatory, lymphatic, vulnerary.
Traditionally used in western medicine for:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Diseases such as Chickenpox, Scarlet Fever, Meningitis, and Typhoid Pneumonia.
- Glandular inflammations.
- Lower Respiratory congestion
- Nasal congestion (upper respiratory tract)
Indicated for use in modern times for:
- Chronic Bronchitis.
- Enhancing immune response.
- Glandular inflammations and swellings.
- Nasal, sinus and respiratory catarrh.
- Treating and preventing infections especially respiratory infections.
Avoid if taking immunosuppressants, due to the immune-stimulating nature of Echinacea.
Very low chance of allergic reaction, due to use of root based preparations. Allergic reactions may be more common in preparations using aerial parts (herbs/flowers).
Safe to use during pregnancy and lactation.