Ribwort – Plantago lanceolata
Ribwort is a common weed which you have probably come across regardless of where you live. Unbeknownst to many, Ribwort has an amazing potential for assisting the health of sinuses and the upper respiratory system.
Demulcent, Anticatarrhal, Anti-inflammatory, Vulnerary, Astringent, Styptic
Traditionally used in western medicine for:
- Congestion of sinuses and conjunctiva.
- Stings, bites and blisters.
- To stop bleeding – including bleeding of the lungs and respiratory tract.
- Many other historical uses.
Indicated for use in modern times for:
- All coughs
- Hoarseness/Raspy breathing
- Nasal catarrh
- Also beneficial in gastrointestinal conditions like peptic ulcers, diarrhoea and haemorrhoids.
Ribwort is extremely safe and widely used, and there are no recorded contraindications or herb/drug interactions.
Due to Ribworts tannin content, it may inhibit absorption of some medications, so avoid taking these at the same time (separate by 2hours).
Safe to use during pregnancy and lactation.